Christian Service Program
The Cathedral Christian Service Program for the has made some major changes to the way students are reflecting upon their service beginning in the 2018-19 school year so please read below carefully. We are finally going paperless! That's right Applications are now Electronic and Timesheets will be Geotracked on a phone App. The number of hours remains the same as in the past however the students will continue to present an oral reflection on their service. Our Christian Service Mission remains the same. More Information & Instructions on how to complete the Christian Service Application Google Form and downloading the Mobileserve APP can be found in the Service Forms & Info webpage. In addition to these Links and Instructions, you will also find a Link to the Approved CHS Service Agencies your Student can choose to volunteer at. If you have questions please contact Shannon Fox, Administrator of Christian Service, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 -2019 Christian Service Guidelines
CATHEDRAL HIGH SCHOOL
CHRISTIAN SERVICE REQUIREMENTS 2018-2019
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.… 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?... 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
Completion of the Christian Service Program is a graduation requirement. The Cathedral Christian service requirement will be based on the Gospel imperative of Matthew 25 that requires service to the poor and vulnerable if we wish to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Each student must complete service hours as specified below for each academic year.
Freshmen: 10 hours; Sophomore: 15 hours; Junior: 20 hours; Senior: 25 hours
Completion of the Christian Service Requirement includes the following:
1. The service project must directly benefit people in the community and reflect Christian values as described in Matthew 25:35-41. Specifically, the hours must:
a) occur within a non-profit setting serving the poor, the elderly and vulnerable
b) minister directly to the poor and vulnerable as defined in the gospel of Matthew
c) be supervised by an adult in the service agency
2. Each Academic Year students are to select one Agency. Contact that agency’s Volunteer Coordinator to work out a service opportunity. Is as VERY IMPORTANT a conversation happen between parents and the student to put a plan with the prospective agency in place. Some questions you need to inquire about are: Are there age restrictions?; Does a parent need to stay while I volunteer? Is there training or vaccines that I need to complete to volunteer. What are your volunteer days and hours? How far from home is it and what will my transportation be? All of these questions need to be addressed to decide if that agency is a good fit for not only your student but you as a parent especially if you are your student's transportation! The student will then submit the application agreeing that this agency is a good fit and you all understand the Service Deadlines and consequences as some changes have been made for the 2018-2019 school year.
The Electronic applications
are Due No Later than Friday, September 28, 2018. ALL students are required to submit an Application
even if you are returning to the same agency so we know you have a plan in place. If the agency is on the CHS Approved Agency List a student will not receive an Approval email & can begin volunteering. If a student submits an agency, not on the list they must receive an Approval Email before volunteering. Submit an application
using your CHS student email!!
2018-2019 we will use the MobileServe APP
to Geo track hours. Deadlines for completed hours and will be Monday, April 28, 2019, for ALL Class levels Freshman through Seniors.
Reflections: Theology teachers will provide a rubric for the oral reflection. These can also be found on the Christian Service webpage.
Service Record: Completion of Christian Service Requirements will be reflected on the student's report card as well as College Transcripts. The completion of hours will be recorded as a percentage no longer a grade as of the 2018 - 2019 school year. If a student completes all hours required he/she will see 100%; if they only complete ¼ of the total hours they will see 25%; If a student complete 40 hours of a required 20 hours he/she will see 200% on the report card or transcript. KNOW that no % will change after the grading period! Students, however, will need to complete any incomplete hours required in order to be eligible to Walk at Graduation and receive their diploma. Diplomas are only issued after incomplete hours are submitted with Documentation. Underclassmen will not be eligible to attend classes the coming school year unless ALL Past Due Service requirements are met before the start of the coming school year.
Graduation: Seniors with INCOMPLETE service hours are invited to walk with their classmate at the Baccalaureate Mass, but will not Walk at the Graduation Ceremony or receive a Diploma.
1. Service hours must be done outside of class time & documented by the on-site supervisor using the Mobileserve
2. Students must be serving directly with those the agency is assisting.
3. IB students’ Christian Service Hours may count as part of their IB “Creative Action Service” requirement.
4. Regarding Mission Trips: Qualifying trips during the summer or during the school year before the deadline may be counted for the current school year. Spring trips may be approved on an individual basis for the following year.
5. Students, remember you are representing Cathedral High School as well as yourself. Any problems or incidents during your service need be reported the site supervisor & to Cathedral’s Campus Ministry.
6. Seniors must complete all 4 years requirements by the deadline in order Walk at Graduation & receive their graduation diploma.
7. Though the school recognizes the importance of many activities that provide opportunities for volunteer work and for education in the faith, the following are ordinarily NOT approved:
a) private arrangements with private individuals
b) recreation programs & summer camps not specifically designed for persons with a disability or the poor.